Media/Entertainment-Industry-Economic Times Media And Entertainment News: Read Media And Entertainment Latest Updates, Box office news on The Economic Times. Get all the latest & breaking news on Media and Entertainment Industry, Advertising Companies Business, Celebrities News, Commercial Dealings latest Update, Videos & More
- Shemaroo launches metaverse destination on JioDive VR Headseton October 4, 2023
The media company said that this collaboration brings an array of captivating and immersive experiences from Shemaroo's extensive content collection to JioDive VR headset users, enriching their entertainment experiences.
- Disney star unveils sponsorship line-up for ICC World Cup 2023; on-boards 26 sponsorson October 4, 2023
Disney Star has revealed its 26 sponsors for the upcoming ICC World Cup 2023, including brands such as PhonePe, Mahindra and Mahindra, and Coca-Cola. The tournament is set to be a cricketing spectacle, with Disney Star providing a viewing experience across television and digital platforms.
- SonyLIV forays into select markets in Africa, Caribbeanon October 3, 2023
Users of South Africa, Mauritius, Jamaica, Guyana, and Trinidad & Tobago can now access SonyLIV's content catalog comprising over 40,000 hours of content across multiple languages.The users will have access to an impressive lineup of content that ranges from gripping original series such as Scam 2003: The Telgi Story, Rocket Boys, Maharani, and Gullak to 18,000+ hours of high-octane TV shows to select sporting events.
- Netflix could move tribunal against Rs 196-crore tax demandon October 2, 2023
The I-T depatment had contended that Netflix Entertainment Services (India) LLP acted as a dependent agent permanent establishment (DAPE) of Netflix. Total revenue generated by the company’s operations between April 2020 and December 2020 was above Rs 1,145 crore. Of this, Rs 1,008 crore was profit, of which attribution to Indian operations was calculated at Rs 503 crore.
- Sony Innovation Fund invests in webtoon start up firm 'Toonsutra'on October 2, 2023
Toonsutra has raised an undisclosed amount of funding from the Sony Innovation Fund (SIF). Along with Toonsutra, SIF has supported startups like Lokal, GetVantage, Impact Guru, Medfin, MedPay, Slice, WeRize, and Tricog. SIF is entirely funded by Sony and invests in early-stage businesses.
- Ritesh Agarwal, OYO founder and youngest Shark in Shark Tank 3on October 1, 2023
Founder and CEO of OYO Rooms, Ritesh Agarwal, will join the panel on popular business reality TV show Shark Tank India Season 3.
- Times Internet acquires exclusive rights to broadcast Indian cricket in key marketson September 30, 2023
Times Internet Ltd (TIL) has acquired exclusive rights to broadcast India's home bilateral cricket matches in North America, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia from September 2023 through March 2028. The rights were purchased from UK-based sports marketing company Pitch. This acquisition will boost the standing of Times Internet-owned Willow TV in North America, as it already distributes BCCI rights and other cricket boards and competitions.
- Zee-Sony show runs into overtime; legal glitches behind delay: Expertson September 30, 2023
Zee-Sony merger: Legal procedures may be the primary reason for the delay, experts said. The Tokyo-based conglomerate, which is Japan's fourth-biggest company by market value, didn't give specific reasons behind the delay in closing the transaction. Sony had earlier said it anticipated the merger to be concluded by September this year.
- Delhi HC restrains unauthorised streaming of ICC Cricket World Cupon September 29, 2023
The plaintiffs said they have the exclusive global media rights, including the television and digital rights for various ICC events like the World Cup, which is scheduled to be held from October 5 to November 19. They said being one of the most popular sporting events in the world, a large number of websites were likely to indulge in unauthorised dissemination of the World Cup content.
- Audiences have returned to cinemas: Wave MDon September 29, 2023
Rajiv Gupta, managing director of Wave Group, stated that audiences have returned to cinemas and the competition from OTT platforms cannot replicate the cinema experience. The Wave Group plans to invest Rs 100 crore to add 35 screens to its existing 10 multiplexes and 42 screens.
- Delhi HC issues order prohibiting unauthorised streaming of ICC Cricket World Cupon September 29, 2023
The court recognized the risk of unauthorized dissemination of World Cup content by rogue websites and issued an ad-interim order restraining such websites from broadcasting or disseminating any portion of the matches. The court also directed relevant authorities to block and suspend these rogue websites.
- Merger with Zee to take a few more months, Sony sayson September 29, 2023
The merger between Zee Entertainment and Culver Max Entertainment, previously known as Sony Pictures Networks India, is expected to take a few more months, according to Sony. The completion of the merger was originally scheduled for the end of September but has faced controversies. The impact on Sony's earnings from the delay is still unknown.
- Mukesh Ambani’s JioCinema to appoint former Google manager Kiran Mani as CEOon September 29, 2023
JioCinema, the Indian streaming TV service, is set to appoint Kiran Mani, former Google general manager, as its CEO. Mani, who previously ran Google's Android operations in the Asia Pacific region, will lead technology development for the service and establish partnerships with Hollywood studios.
- Saregama India Ltd to acquire 6.61 lakh shares of Pocket Aces Pictures for Rs 174 croreson September 28, 2023
Saregama India, the country's oldest music label company, is set to acquire a majority stake in Pocket Aces Pictures for Rs 174 crore. This acquisition will give Saregama India a 51.82% stake in Pocket Aces. Additionally, Saregama plans to subscribe to 25,974 shares of Pocket Aces worth Rs 15 crore, increasing its stake in the company to 92.61%. Saregama sees this acquisition as an opportunity to expand its intellectual property and distribution network.
- Sponsors line up for World Cup at Disney Staron September 27, 2023
The company has engaged PhonePe, Mahindra, Coca-Cola (Charged), HUL (Glow and Lovely), IndusInd Bank, Mondelez and Jindal Panther as broadcast sponsors. For digital, the sponsors are Mahindra, Booking.com, Hindustan Unilever (Surf Excel), Louis Philippe, Kingfisher, Coca-Cola (Thums-Up), Black & White and MRF.
- Tata Play steps out of India with a solution that global OTTs needon September 27, 2023
Tata Play has launched a white label solution for global over-the-top (OTT) aggregators, starting with a collaboration with Philippines' Cignal TV. The Tata Play Binge platform brings together content from over 26 apps in one app. Tata Play will manage the end-to-end technology platform over the cloud and is actively in talks with potential aggregators across the world. The company aims to become the backend for OTT aggregators worldwide and believes its solution will offer economies of scale and benefits to all stakeholders.
- 'Taarak Mehta' maker forays into gamingon September 26, 2023
"In addition to gaming and animation, we also see potential in exploiting this IP (intellectual property of TMKOC) for ecommerce and films," said Modi, who started the content production company in 1995.
- 'Tata Comm to expand media & entertainment services'on September 25, 2023
Speaking on the company's media and entertainment services (MES) business unit, which has grown by 20-25% over the past couple of years, Lakshminarayanan said the Tata Group company will continue investing in building its portfolio to keep the growth momentum.
- Star Sports’ Asia Cup viewership sets new records ahead of ICC World Cup 2023on September 25, 2023
The Asia Cup 2023, broadcasted by Star Sports, has set a new record for sports viewing in India. With 266 million viewers, excluding the final, it has become the most-watched edition of the tournament. The total viewing time for the tournament has increased by 75% compared to the previous edition, with over 73.5 billion minutes watched.
- Tata Communications to scale up media & entertainment services, include live news, events coverageon September 25, 2023
Speaking on the company’s media and entertainment services (MES) business unit, which has grown by 20-25% over the past couple of years, Lakshminarayanan said the Tata Group company will continue investing in building its portfolio to keep the growth momentum.
- PVR Inox sees strong second quarter for cinema exhibitorson September 23, 2023
"I hope that comes true," Tandon said when asked if the July-September period would be the best quarter for the cinema exhibition industry. "The last couple of weeks have been extraordinarily good for footfalls in cinema halls, and even the pipeline looks very exciting."
- Delhi HC grants dynamic injunction to Viacom18 against cricket piracyon September 23, 2023
With the help of this dynamic injunction, Viacom18 will be able to take rapid action against rogue websites that indulge in piracy. The order requires Internet Service Providers (IPSs) to ban access to such websites after being notified by Viacom18 on an affidavit.
- JioCinema to launch digital film festival on September 29on September 22, 2023
JioCinema, a streaming platform in India, is launching a digital film festival on September 29. The festival will showcase 20 films over 20 days, celebrating India's rich storytelling. The lineup includes films such as "The Comedian," "Birha" (The Journey Back Home), "Ghuspaith: Between Borders," "Rat in the Kitchen," "Bebaak," and "The Daughter."
- Bollywood movies releasing in October 2023on September 22, 2023
Here are some theatrical and OTT Hindi releases to look forward to, in the coming month:
- National Cinema Day: Watch Jawan or other movies at just Rs 99on September 21, 2023
The Multiplex Association of India (MAI) is organizing a 'movie marathon' on National Cinema Day, October 13, in collaboration with cinemas across the country. Moviegoers can participate in the marathon for just Rs 99 per admission. Over 4000 screens, including popular cinema chains such as PVR Inox and Cinepolis, will be part of the event. Last year, the event saw 6.5 million admissions, the highest ever single-day admissions.
- Paramount realises $168 million in non-cash gain from Viacom18 stake dilutionon September 21, 2023
Paramount Global has reported a non-cash gain of $168 million from diluting its stake in Indian media conglomerate Viacom18. In April, Paramount's stake in Viacom18 dropped to 13% after a strategic transaction involving Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) and Bodhi Tree Systems. RIL entities and Bodhi Tree Systems invested Rs 15,145 crore in Viacom18, resulting in Paramount no longer accounting for it under the equity method.
- Women's Premier League valuation hits $150 million in debut season: Reporton September 20, 2023
The Women's Premier League (WPL) has been valued at $150 million in its first season, according to a report by D&P Advisory. The valuation of the WPL is driven by media and title rights deals signed by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), with Viacom18's media rights deal being the second most valuable broadcast contract globally for women's sports leagues.
- 8 out of 10 South Cinema audiences visit a theater at least once a month: Reporton September 20, 2023
GroupM India MD, Cinema and OOH, Ajay Mehta, said, "Our report is a game-changing tool for marketers and advertisers looking to engage with the South Cinema audience. By shedding light on the unique preferences and behaviors of this audience, we can now tailor our campaigns to resonate with them on a deeper level.
- Viacom18 to showcase ISL on 8 TV channels, Jio Cinemaon September 20, 2023
Viacom18 will broadcast the upcoming Indian Super League (ISL) 2023-24 season on eight linear channels and Jio Cinema. The matches will be aired in Hindi, English, Bengali, and Malayalam on channels like Sports18, VH1, and Surya Movies. Jio Cinema will offer a multi-camera experience where viewers can choose different angles.
- I&B sends cable companies request seeking autonomy in bouquet pricing to Traion September 19, 2023
following a request by the All India Digital Cable Federation, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has requested the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) to include the issue of granting autonomy to TV distributors in bouquet formation. The federation has asked Trai to publish a comprehensive consultation paper on the TV distribution sector.
- Disney said to be in talks with RIL over future of its India businesson September 18, 2023
Walt Disney Co. has reportedly engaged in preliminary discussions with potential buyers, including Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries Ltd., for its India streaming and television business. The options being considered range from a complete sale of the Disney Star business to a partial transaction involving assets such as sports rights and the regional streaming service Disney+ Hotstar.
- AIDCF moves TDSAT against free cricket streaming by Star Indiaon September 17, 2023
The federation has filed a petition before the TDSAT against the Walt Disney-owned company's decision to offer the just-concluded Asia Cup and the upcoming ICC Men's Cricket World Cup for free to mobile users through its streaming platform, Disney+ Hotstar.
- Information and Broadcasting Ministry working on new Broadcasting Services Billon September 15, 2023
The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) plans to introduce the Broadcasting Services Regulation (BSR) Bill 2023, which will replace the current Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act 1995. The new bill will have a wider scope, regulating over-the-top (OTT), cable TV, direct-to-home (DTH), headend-in-the-sky (HITS), internet protocol television (IPTV), and radio.
- Supreme Court dismisses appeal against ND Art's insolvencyon September 15, 2023
The Supreme Court has dismissed a petition seeking a review of the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal's (NCLAT) order allowing bankruptcy proceedings against ND's Art World Pvt Ltd, a company owned by late art director Nitin Desai and his widow Naina Desai. The dismissal clears the way for recovery proceedings against the company, which owes Edelweiss Asset Reconstruction Co. around Rs 300 crore.
- Netflix, Yash Raj Films ink long-term content dealon September 15, 2023
Netflix and Yash Raj Films (YRF) have formed a new partnership to create films and series for Indian and global audiences. The first project is a four-part series called "The Railway Men," which stars R. Madhavan, Kay Kay Menon, Divyendu Sharma, and Babil Khan. The second project, "Maharaj," marks the debut of actor Junaid Khan and is directed by Siddharth P. Malhotra.
- Disney to cut target for Disney+ streaming subscriberson September 15, 2023
Walt Disney Co. is expected to fall short of its subscriber target for the Disney+ streaming service. The goal of 215 million to 245 million subscribers by 2024, set by former CEO Bob Chapek, is unlikely to be met. Disney+ has been losing customers due to price increases and declining demand in India. However, Disney has managed to narrow its losses in the streaming division through price increases.
- SAT adjourns hearing of ZEE CEO's plea to Sept 27on September 14, 2023
The Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT) has adjourned the hearing in ZEE CEO Punit Goenka's appeal against Sebi confirmatory order to September 27.
- SAT questions Sebi's credibility on completion of investigations in Zee matter within stipulated timeon September 14, 2023
The Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT) has questioned the credibility of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) in completing its investigation into alleged fund misappropriation by Zee Entertainment Enterprises. SAT stated that SEBI has a history of extending investigation periods and lacks credibility in completing them within a specified time frame.
- Trai plans consultation paper on OTT playerson September 13, 2023
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) is reportedly planning to release a consultation paper on regulatory issues related to over-the-top (OTT) video platforms such as Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ Hotstar, and JioCinema. The paper will address concerns such as price parity between OTT platforms and traditional distribution channels, as well as applying broadcasting sector rules to OTT platforms for live content.
- Reliance's JioCinema to stream India-Australia ODI series for freeon September 13, 2023
Reliance-owned JioCinema will stream India's 3-match ODI home series against Australia for free on its platform. The OTT platform will stream the matches in 11 languages. The series is important for both teams as they prepare for the upcoming ICC World Cup 2023. Viacom18, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries, secured the exclusive media rights for international and domestic matches by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for a cumulative figure of Rs 5,963 crore for the next five years.
- FanCode gets streaming rights for Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Competition Rights in Indiaon September 13, 2023
FanCode has secured exclusive streaming rights for several Asian Football Confederation (AFC) competitions for the 2023-24 and 2024-25 seasons. The Indian company gained the digital streaming rights through a sub-licensing agreement with FSDL, the media rights holders for AFC competitions in India. The deal will enable Indian fans to watch top Asian football action and global stars like Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar. The partnership will cover various tournaments, including the AFC Champions League and AFC U23 Asian Cup. FanCode has previously livestreamed events such as the FIFA Women's World Cup and SAFF Cup.
- Disney Star inks a multi-series content deal with Pratilipion September 12, 2023
Stories on Pratilipi have an extensive readership and listener base that extends up to 15 million subscribers. These stories, written by authors from all over the country, are currently available in the form of short stories, series, audiobooks, and comics. This association also opens doors for thousands of writers across India, allowing them to envision their stories in various formats.
- Tata Play Binge adds Apple TV+ to its roster of offeringson September 12, 2023
Apple TV+ has partnered with Tata Play Binge, an OTT aggregation service, making its original series and movies available to Tata Play Binge members. This collaboration aims to provide viewers with premium content from Apple TV+ across various devices. Apple TV+ offers acclaimed series and films such as Ted Lasso, Foundation, and The Morning Show. Tata Play Binge already offers a variety of OTT apps, including Disney+ Hotstar and SonyLIV, providing subscribers with a single interface and subscription for accessing content in multiple languages.
- Bollywood can play important role in making India developed nation by 2047: Kailash Kheron September 12, 2023
Indian singer Kailash Kher believes that Bollywood can play a constructive role in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's goal of making India a developed nation by 2047. Kher stated that energized and motivated Indians have put the country on a fast track to development, and he believes India will achieve this goal in the next eight to ten years.
- Disney+ Hotstar scores record concurrency for India vs Pakistan Asia Cup Super 4 matchon September 11, 2023
India Vs Pakistan match: Disney+ Hotstar has set a new viewership record during the India-Pakistan cricket match in the Asia Cup, with a peak concurrency of 2.8 crore viewers. This surpasses the platform's previous record set during the 2019 World Cup. Despite rain interruptions during the match, the excitement surrounding the contest between the arch rivals remains high.
- SAT adjourns hearing of ZEEL chief's plea against Sebi orderon September 8, 2023
Goenka is challenging the capital market regulator's confirmatory order of August 14 barring him and his father, Subhash Chandra, Chairman Emeritus of ZEEL, from holding directorship or managerial position in any listed company or their subsidiaries.
- SRK's Jawan keeps box-office counters ringing after record collections in Augon September 8, 2023
Shah Rukh Khan's latest film, "Jawan," has broken box-office records by earning ₹74.5 crore on its opening day, surpassing the previous record set by his film "Pathaan." The film's global gross collection stood at ₹130 crore, with ₹90 crore from India and ₹40 crore from overseas.
- Reasons why you should watch Jawan movieon September 8, 2023
Finally, the "Jawan" week has arrived, and we can't remain calm! In less than eight months, Shah Rukh Khan will make his big-screen comeback, and his admirers have been anxiously awaiting September 7 for quite some time.
- SRK-starrer Jawan's 'brea-KING' business hopes spread movie industry's arms wider to capture more revenueson September 8, 2023
Shah Rukh Khan's Jawan: The Indian cinema industry is experiencing a remarkable comeback, with recent releases like Pathaan, Jawan, Gadar 2 and OMG 2 contributing to record-breaking success. PVR Inox, the largest multiplex chain operator in India, has seen a 32% increase in revenues for the quarter ended June 30. With upcoming big-budget movies like Salman Khan's Tiger 3, Animal, and Dunki, the industry is expected to continue attracting audiences and generating more revenue.
- Building blocks in place, Viacom18 will hope to build profitable sports business: Anil Jayaraj, CEOon September 7, 2023
The company recently bagged the TV and digital rights to all the domestic and international cricket matches held in India for ₹5,963 crore till 2028. The company will be paying ₹67.76 crore per match, including ₹35.23 crore a match for digital and ₹32.53 crore per match for TV.